WHAT IS OCULOPLASTY?
Oculoplasty is the art and science of plastic surgery around the eye. The eyeball is a delicate structure, protected from harm by eyelids in front and the bony cup (socket) behind. Behind the eyeball run the nerves , arteries and muscles, which carry messages to the brain, move the eyeball, and provide nutrition to the eye. Oculoplasty deals with all these structures surrounding the eyeball.
Oculoplastics is the area of Ophthalmology that treats conditions of the tissues that support the eye. These tissues include the upper and lower eyelids, eyebrows, the tear ducts and the bony structures of the orbit. The procedures performed include those that improve sight and function of the eye as well as cosmetic procedures that enhance appearance.
The following conditions require Oculoplasty services:
- Malposition of Eyelid- Droopy Eyelid (Ptosis)
- Disturbed Contour of eyelid (Eyelid Cysts or Tumors)
- Eyelids turning out or in (Entropion/Ectropion)
- Cosmetic Blemish requiring Eyelift (Blepharoplasty)
- Eyelid reconstruction following Trauma/Tumor (Cancer)
- Excessive watering due to tear duct or tear sac problems (Nasolacrimal Duct/ Canalicular Obstruction)
- Orbital Wall fracture
- Excessive blinking or uncontrollable eye closure (Blepharospasm)
- Excessive wrinkles / skin folds around eyes (Crowfeet)
- Paralysis affecting the face
- Thyroid imbalance
- Growths or Tumors (Cancers of Eye)
- Artificial (Prosthetic) eye secondary to loss of eye (congenital anophthalmia or acquired loss of eye due to injury or infection)
At Varun Eye Care we offer wide spectrum of treatment modalities, and cutting edge technology along with unparalleled expertise of extensively trained specialist to deal with all these oculoplasty problems. In addition, aesthetics procedures including Botox injections and injectable fillers (Restylane/ Perlane) are also performed at MEC under combined care of ophthalmologists and dermatologist.
WHY SHOULD AN EYE SURGEON DO PLASTIC SURGERY?
Oculoplastic surgeons first train as ophthalmologists, when they learn in details about the eye. During further higher training, they start to handle plastic surgery. They have the best knowledge about the eye and its surrounding; as eye surgeons, they are also ready to handle the most delicate of structures. This combination of skills makes the oculoplastic surgeons the best to do plastic surgery around the eye.